How Do I / FAQ

Assessor Department
How can I find the assessment of my property?
The assessment rolls and other useful information can be found on the Assessor Department webpage.
Where can I find my property tax exemptions?
Exemptions can be found on the assessment roll or by calling the assessor’s office. Please note that because the STAR Credit is administered by NY State it will not appear on the assessment roll.
Where can I find my STAR Credit?
Call the STAR Taxpayer Hotline at 518-457-2036 for any questions or to register for the STAR Credit.
What exemptions are available to homeowners?
The Assessor Department webpage has a section devoted to the most common residential exemptions.
Can I get help calculating my income for the Senior Citizen and Disability exemptions?
YES! We understand it can be confusing and are here to help.
Can the assessor lower my taxes?
The job of the assessor is to value all properties in town in a fair and equitable manner. If you feel your taxes are too high, you should take that up with the town board, school board, or other governing authority that is determining tax levies and setting the tax rates.
What do I do if I feel my assessment is too high?
Grievance Day is the 4th Tuesday in May. Every owner has the right to present a complaint to the Board of Assessment Review (BAR). The BAR is assigned to arrive at a fair and independent decision regarding those assessments.
Can I get a copy of the tax map for my property?
The Assessor Department has a copy of the town’s tax maps available for viewing. Unfortunately, we are not allowed to reproduce tax maps. They can also be accessed using this link to the Schenectady Internet Mapping System (SIMS) or this link to Image Mate. Tax maps are a useful resource to identify the location, size and shape of a property. However, they are neither a legal description nor a survey of the property.
Community Programs
What is a REC1 Account?

REC1 is our online registration portal for our programs.

How do I create a REC1 Account?
  • Go to:
  • Click on “Log in/Create Account” then “Create TON Account” (large blue rectangle).
  • Input information first for the family using one adult as the main contact.
  • Next, add information for all children or adults, one at a time.
How do I register for a program?
Most of our programs are available for online registration (with a few exceptions) on REC1.
  • To register for a specific activity, click on “register” next to that person’s name.
  • Follow specific program registration instructions.  Do this for all individuals and programs you want to include in this transaction.  When you are ready to check out, click on payment options, and pay by credit card. Be sure to confirm the registration. You will automatically receive a confirmation email.
In REC1, what does TON stand for?
Town Of Niskayuna
How do I receive information and news blasts about upcoming Community Programs, Events and Cancellations?
Once you have created a REC1 account, you will be on our email list and will receive all of our emails about upcoming programs, events and cancellations.
What is the Niskayuna program Refund and Returned Check Policy?
Medical Refund:  A full refund will be issued for any program with a note from a doctor indicating an individual cannot participate for to medical reasons.  
Non-Medical Refund: A full refund less a $10.00 processing fee per registration will be issued for a cancellation due to “non-medical” reasons.
The town will mail a refund check to the payee if registration is paid by check.
If registration is paid by credit card, the town will credit the account charged.
Returned Check:  Any check returned for insufficient payment will be assessed a $15 returned check fee.
Where is the Niskayuna Town Pool?
The Niskayuna Town Pool is located at 2682 Aqueduct Road, Niskayuna. 
When does the Town Pool open/close?

This is a seasonal outdoor pool that opens the Saturday before Father’s Day and closes on Labor Day.

How do I get a Town Pool Pass?
Seasonal Pool passes and be purchased online through your Rec1 account.  Passes are limited to Niskayuna Town Residents and to Niskayuna School district residents with an additional charge.
Town Clerk
How do I get a copy of my Birth Certificate?
There are three ways to obtain a Birth Certificate:

By Mail (Preferred)
Fill out an application and enclose with a copy of your identification and a $10.00 money order (no personal checks). Mail to the Town Clerk at One Niskayuna Circle, Niskayuna, NY 12309. Please enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope, or use the Town Hall "Mail Only" slot at the front doors at Town Hall. If received by 3:00 p.m. your request will be mailed back to you the same day if all needed information is provided.

Vital Check
For your convenience, you can process online requests using a credit card through an independent company with which we have partnered in order to provide this service (VitalChek Network, Inc.). The Town of Niskayuna Vital Records does not accept credit cards directly. You can access this service here. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service and debit cards and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express, Discover, Master Card or Visa.

For overnight processing, the authorization from must be faxed to the Niskayuna Town Clerk's office [(518) 386-4509] and received by 3:00 p.m. You must fax your driver's license with signature and date on the authorization form. The total fee for UPS overnight shipping is $36, while the total fee for regular mail is $17. You must choose either form of shipping from the drop-down menu on the billing page. Extra fees will apply for international shipping.

In Person
The Town Clerk's Office is open Monday-Friday, 9:00am to 3:00pm, to request a Birth Certificate in person. You must have up-to-date identification (a driver's license, passport, or Department of Motor Vehicles Non-Driver ID). There will be a $10.00 fee (no personal checks), cash, money orders or credit cards only (convenience fee will be charged).
How do I get a Marriage License?
Marriage Licenses are issued by appointment to Town residents only. You can contact the Town Clerk's Office at (518) 386-4510 to make arrangements for obtaining a Marriage License.

Fee: $40
Obtain within 60 days of your ceremony. There is a 24-hour waiting period. Both parties must be present.

Required Documents:
  • Valid driver's license
  • Certified copy of Birth Certificate (or if born outside the US, a translated copy)
  • Divorce or annulment certified court papers for any former marriages
  • A death certificate if prior spouse is deceased